Hi, my name is Hilary; I am a humidity expert and a researcher. I’m privileged to share with you the best whole house humidifiers reviews and how you can pick the best humidifier for your home. Humidity plays a vital role in our daily life protecting us and properties from dry air. If you’re battling with low humidity in your house and the level is below 30 %, the best house humidifier is what you need to restore the abnormality. Back in the early parent’s days, the humidity was added into the air via boiling of water and the steam, therefore, escapes into the air as vapors. That is to tell you, the artificial rising of indoor moisture didn’t start today. Man’s innovation makes it easier using a modern device called a humidifier. A humidifier is an essential home improvement appliance we recommend especially in winter days of low humidity battle. However, there are many humidifiers whole house on the markets but to save your time, here are the best ones I laid my hands on and I believe they would make a good buy for anyone.
Best Whole House Humidifier Comparsion Guide
Read our review
Read our review
Read our review
Read our review
Check Price on Amazon
Read our review
Read our review
Read our review
Read our review
8 Best Whole House Humidifiers Reviews
1. Aircare Ma1201 Whole House Console
The Aircare Ma1201 is designed for space up to 3,600 square feet. It comes featuring an automatic humidistat, which regulates humidity levels for comfort. From its 3.6-gallon tank capacity, powered the humidifier to run for up to 36hours non-stop in one refill.
It also features a digital display that lets you view Aircare performance as it operates. This unit runs with a reduced sound level making it great for the night use. Also, the sound level favors children’s rooms while releasing cool moisture to protect them.
This whole house humidifier comes with caster wheels that let you move the device effortlessly. Most relevantly, it can turn off automatically whenever the water tank is empty – thereby keeping your unit safe while at the same time conserving energy.
2. Aprilaire 500 Furnace Whole House Humidifier
Moving down to the next unit on this best whole house humidifiers reviews list, is the Aprilaire 500 automatic humidifier. However, this is a furnace type of whole humidifier which require installation before you can start using it. But not too worry, it comes with aprilaire humidifier installation manual that will guide you through the installing process.
When you pick this unit you won’t need to refill the unit as it will be plumbed directly into your house water system. In addition, this furnace humidifier only require schedule maintenance unlike the console whole house humidifier that require frequent check up. Furthermore, has the capacity to release evaporative mist to space amounting to 3,600 sq feet. Also installed with digital control for automatic humidity regulation. I therefore, recommend this bypass humidifier for household looking for one time installation unit without having to move it around.
3. Varnado Evapo 40 Whole Home Humidifier Review
This 1000 sq ft humidifier is ideal for whose house humidity supply. It comes with automatic features that aid its operation more flexible. The Evapo40 is from the Vornado brand, a company known for making home improvement appliances in the United States, as such, you can rely on this Vornado Evapo 40 designed for whole-home humidity provision.
While the first two units cover up to 3,600 feet homes, Vornado model 40 covers a lesser area of 1000 sq ft. Although it can still serve humidity for an entire house, I’ll better recommend it for large bedroom sized. Most noteworthy features 3-speed fan settings for you to customize humidity speed. Also, equipped with a 4-gallon capacity tank that will power your home for up to 24 hours in one refill.
4. BONECO U700 Warm/Cool Mist Whole House
The Boneco 700 is another high rated unit in the best whole house humidifier reviewed. The appliance features a coverage limit of 1000 square feet similar to that of the previous unit.
However, what makes BONECO U700 unique in this discussion. It can deliver both cool and warm mist. Therefore, the dual mist option enables you to choose from either mist option depending on prevailing home conditions.
The Self-cleaning technology available in this unit makes it easy to clean your device with less hassle.
5. AIRCARE EP9 800 Digital Whole-House Pedestal-Style Evaporative
If allergies and asthma are the reason you are opting for a humidifier, then I advise you to pick a unit that can regulate humidity digital wise. AIRCARE EP9 800 is a digital operated humidifier – this maintains accurate humidity via digital humidistat. Because of this capacity, I recommend if for individual hunting for a humidifier for allergies and asthma as it will help them keep a balance of humidity needed. The digital readout is another anesthetic that informs you about real-time settings, current, and desired humidity levels. The fan speeds and voltage can be view directly from the digital display.
Most importantly, it featured 9-speed levels that let you customize the output rate preferentially. The pedestal style design is a perfect appliance for homes of 2,400 square footage humidity desire. It comes in a well-sized dimension for tight areas placement and weighs 27 pounds for easy lifting because it has no mobility caster wheels. The evaporative mist released from the Whole-House Pedestal-Style humidifier is a proven solution for asthma and allergies related symptoms. This unit would turn off once set humidity level is reach or when there is no water to disperse again – thereby providing you comfortable living space and at the same time protects the unit.
- Lightweight design
- Accurate humidity result
- Lacks mobility castors
6. Aprilaire 800 Whole House Steam Humidifier
Aprilaire is one of the leading brand indoor air quality solutions. Its products are standard according to information gotten from Consumers Reports. They engineered this Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier to help add humidity to house measuring up to 6,200 square feet to fight dry skin and other low humidity symptoms. One unique functionality, you can select various output, releasing 11 gallons to 36 gallons of humid air per day into your atmosphere based on installation and voltage. The manufacturer information also confirms Aprilaire 800 to be ideal for homes situated in arid land or dry climates and so recommend it as the best humidifier for desert climates in this discussion.
Although it requires installation but does not need mounting on a duct system because it is built to run independently, therefore installation won’t take much time. Also, you don’t need to spend extra cash acquiring the HVAC system, unlike most furnace products that need it. Steam humidifiers are great for cold climate, particularly during winter. For this reason, Aprilaire 800 Steam Humidifier is one humidifier designed for steam mist distribution we want you to consider. With its high moisture output, allergies, asthma, bacteria, and molds in humidifier symptoms can be tackle.
- Great for dry climates region
- Low maintenance (It does not use filter)
Hvac system required (Installed independently)
- Needs to be installed by an expert
- Capacity may be high for small apartments
7. Aprilaire 400 Whole House Automatic Water Saver Humidifier
If you live in an environment where the cost of water bills is high and yet wants to run a humidifier, Aprilaire 400 is one of the best solutions. This whole house humidifier features an automatic water saver technology that helps conserve water via the evaporation process of water entering into the water panel.
This unit is for individuals looking for a humidifying machine that fit into tightly constructed homes. More so, featured moisture output of 17 gallons per day with full coverage power of 4,000 square home feet. Also, the device working principle is to support two sensors for humidity and temperature level. Both sensors respectively respond to indoor RH % (relative humidity) and outdoor temperature to deliver optimum levels all through the day.
In various studies, healthy humidity helps protects humidifier sickness symptoms such as dry skin, dry eyes, and respiratory problems development. However, keeping humidity levels between 35 – 45% RH can prevent the symptoms mentioned earlier. Because of this, we’re suggesting Aprilaire 400 as one of the best types of whole house humidifier that can help you achieve an optimum humidity level.
- For large areas
- Accurate humidity output
- Automatic turn off for desire level.
- Cost of installation
- Require duct system
8. LEVOIT Humidifiers for Large Room
I decided to include this unit in the best whole house humidifier reviews from Leviot brand here for those who might be interested in shopping for a single room humidifier. This machine is perfect for large-sized bedrooms, a baby’s nurseries bedside, and an office environment. Leviot Company robustly equipped it with features to enhance its functionality and humidity provision. Firstly, a 6-liter tank size makes the unit deliver moisture air up to 36 hours of run time before the next refilling. Also, designed to deliver two mist options such as warm and cool mist. You are at the leverage of choosing between either of the mist alternatively.
I highly suggest the warm mist for cold periods to warm up the cold air while the cool mist for a period where your homes feel hot to cool the temperature down. The display options let you view actual home humidity – so you can tailor a comfortable and suitable range base on the prevailing condition. Also, the remote and touch screen control makes it easier to operate the unit conveniently from any distance in your space. You’ll not only get a humidified air but also enjoy an aromatherapy air, thanks to the essential oil innovation that automatically diffuse into the air. If you’re looking for a humidifier vaporizer, we recommend Levoit humidifier. This appliance is the only unit offering this functionality in this whole house humidifier reviews and discussion.
- Whisper quietly
- Low to maintain
- Remote controlling
- Essential oil diffusion
- 2 year warranty
- Not for whole house
- Require frequent cleaning as ultrasonic model
What are humidifier good for?
Dryness causes many discomforting problems in our body system. Therefore a humidifier is an essential device that would help treat dry air by releasing moisture into the air. This further combat issues such as dry air, sinusitis, soothes dry skin, throat, and the rest. Humidifiers can ease cold and flu symptoms.
If you are suffering from a chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) or nosebleeds due to low humidity, a humidifier can help lessen the symptoms.
Which is better warm or cool mist humidifier?
Whether warm or cool-mist humidifier, both acts to humidify the air, and by the time the mist released from either of the units reaches your breathing airways end up at the same temperature.
Nevertheless, in the cold months, such as in the winter, warm mist humidifiers crack up warm air that protects you from cold. However, their running cost can be high as a result of the heating element found in warm-mist humidifiers.
Besides, they can sometimes release hotter mist burning skin. For this reason, parents with kids are advised not to use them around babies or children surrounding unless they are placed far and in a secure area. In contrast, cool-mist-humidifiers are alternative for the summer or for the desert climate is hot all year and you’re experiencing low humidity, a cold mist humidifier thus releases cool moist air to cool you down.
This type of humidifier mist is nice for children environment because of the calming effect it provides. Though cool mists unit are good but known for dispersing germs and bacteria when ordinary tap water is used for them. To avoid this problem, we recommend treated distilled water for cool mist humidifier use. This may increase running cost, nevertheless the upfront health benefit is worth the prize.
What is better vaporizer or humidifier?
Be it vaporizer or humidifier, they are used for adding moisture to the air. A humidifier can serve as a vaporizer because there’re model that function as a vaporizer. Therefore a vaporizer heat water converting into vapor Steam or warm steam air. You can also see them as warm mists humidifiers while a typical humidifier uses cold water to create cool fine mist air. People with sinus congestion, dry nostrils can opt for a vapor humidifiers as the best choice to treat symptoms.
What Is The Best Whole House Humidifier Buying Guide
Humidifiers selection can be easy or be a daunting process deciding which one to choose. It can be easy if you understand humidifier and its features. On the other hand, might just be a tough process if you lack knowledge on the relevant aspects of what makes a good humidifier. Now to find and buy a unit that meets your demand, here are some reprimanded questions to guide you through the process:
- What is the coverage area of your room or house before deciding on a unit?
- Do you need a whole house or single room unit?
- Do you need a digital unit with automatic humidity level regulation or a manual one?
- Do I need special features such as automatic shut off, empty tank alert etc.?
- Does it come with back up warranty? Do you need a cool or warm mist unit?
Let’s get get started with the requirement for picking the best dehumidifier below
- Coverage area : It is very important you calculate the area where you want to run or install the humidifier. Different unit come with different coverage requirement and these ranges from 250 sq. ft. up to 4,500 sq. ft depending on the unit. It is not wise to choose a unit with a lesser coverage power for a larger space. However Choose according to your home space requirement. This sizing chart can be of help to understands what we’re talking about.
- Type to choose: Another aspect thing to consider if you need a whole house or single room unit. Whole house unit are designed to power an entire house. Some models require installation to a furnace or HAVC system before you can use them but the console whole house model requires no installation. On the other hand, single room unit also known as portable humidifier work well in a room accordingly. They come in small foot print that allow for easy transporting around the room or to another room. Single room humidifiers also need no installation and so you can easily purchase these types. However, among the two, your preference counts.
- Humidity Control Mode: Humidifiers usually come in digital or manual humidity control. If you want your home humidity level to be regulated by the unit, consider a humidifier with humidistat. Otherwise for do it yourself, a manual one is what you should look out for.
- Special Features: Some unique features makes running of humidifier easier and fun. Having features such as auto-shut off option, low tank level indicator or change filter alert in your device gives you high level of control and less time checking on the unit.
- Mist type: You may also want to consider the type of mist a particular unit provides because there is both warm and the cool mist unit. Warm mist humidifiers releases warm air or steam that is beneficial for cold period. This type is not advisable for parents with babies as they can release hotter mist sometimes. While the cool mist humidifier disperses cool moisture air suitable for hot weather. These types are perfect for babies nursery bed, rooms etc.
- Warranty: Some manufacturer attached warranty to their unit and every unit has it duration of warranty. Warranty is worth considering as it will give you level for repair or replacement in case the unit is malfunctioning within the stipulated time.
Benefit of Maintaining The Best Humidity Levels
Humidity is said to be the level of water vapor presence in the air at a specific period of time. According to studies, humidity keeps us cool and comfortable, makes the skin look refreshing and drives away skin dryness. It also prevents nasal congestion that may leads to difficult breath.
However, the right amount of humidity 30/60% which is known to be relative humidity (R.H) should be our target if we intend adding moisture to our living space, room, office or business environment. As said too high or too low is bad to our health that’s why the right humidity level needs to be practice.
To achieve a balance of humidity gauge, scientist advised consumers to find humidifiers unit with humidistat that can help regulate humidity level according to home needs. If you can keep these tips at your finger tips, ripping humidity benefits will be yours.
What Are Importance Of A Humidifier
- Those suffering dry skin need the soothing moisture released by this unit to keep the skin moistened.
- If you are suffering nose congestion you need a humidifier as well.
- Humidifiers will also benefits people with dry-out eyes, chapped lips, dried hair, allergies and asthma etc.
- Feeling of static electricity shock is common in dry climates especially during laundry, so a raised in humidity will prevents this ugly drama.
- Home walls, wooden furniture’s, wallpaper, appliance or electronic tends to crack and sometimes split into parts in lack of humidity environment but the presence of adequate humidity level, all these things integrity are retained for years to come.
Also, check this info-graphic below for better explanation.
Types of humidifier
Basically, there are two kinds of humidifiers divided into the whole house and single room unit. Each type has its features but now depends on preference and home demand. A wholes house humidifier is manufactured to take care of a whole house humidity need which seems to eliminate the need of having more than one unit as one single whole house unit can power the entire house. You can learn more here if you think this is the right choice for you. On the other hand, single room humidifiers are also seen as portable or tabletop unit and are ideal for single-room humidification. This type comes in small foot print which allows easy mobility from a room to room humidity need. For knowledge base about this type, do check our resource here for details.
- Best place to a humidifier? There is no specific place that is appropriate for humidifier placement. However, my suggestion, it should be placed in areas where you noticed low humidity presence so as to raise it into comfort level.
- Will I need replace filters? Well this depends on the model you have. If you have a unit without filter, no filter will be replaced. But if yours is a unit that uses filter in its operation, you will have to replace it when due. Duration of replacement is a factor of how you run the unit but some manufacturers state it clearly on when to change the humidifier filter. However, the time ranges from 3 months, 6 months to a year respectively.
- How often should you clean the unit? No specific time given. as long you are running your unit, cleaning should be done at least thrice weekly because dirty humidifiers promotes growth of mold, mildew and bacteria known cause different health problems.
- Can I add essential oil to the unit? If your unit allows the use of essential oil according to manufacturer instruction then you are free to do so but if the case is reverse, you can’t add as it may damage the unit.